Crediton United 3 - Torrington 2

South West Peninsula League East

WHAT weather and what a game we had at the Meadow as visitors Torrington nearly managed to pull off a creditable draw.

As we entered the last minute of the game the scores were level and suddenly amid all the Crediton pressure there was an almighty scramble in the penalty area.

Legs and arms went flying and various people took a tumble.  The referee pointed to the spot and an almighty "to do" took place.

Throughout all this, young Harvey Dorothy kept the ball and also kept his calm and after play was eventually restored, he calmly sent the keeper the wrong way and scored what was to prove the match winner.

The weather had turned pretty ugly throughout the game and because of the incessant downpour the pitch churned up badly.

Max Gillard was restored to the side and took up an unfamiliar midfield role which frankly did not suit him.

Also in came Kevin Pike who, as usual, was full of industry and passion.

It was Torrington however who scored first as an unmarked header found its way into the Crediton net after only three minutes.

After this setback Crediton took to their task and soon it was Harvey Dorothy who had a deflected shot saved by the goalie.

Keeping your feet was not easy and many times the ball went astray as both sets of players fought gamely to get a foothold. It was all Crediton. Firstly Sam Stapleton fired just wide and then it was the turn of Harvey Dorothy to shoot just wide after fine work by Max Gillard.

Then, as half-time approached Crediton did score as Kevin Pike sent a cross path to Dan Preece who calmly sent a shot into the left hand corner, 1-1. 

Dan Preece had been pushed forward into midfield and Max Gillard was now in the back four, and this made a huge difference to the home side.

This changed the complexion of the game and as the rain continued to pelt it down.

It was Crediton who looked the most likely. In the 50th minute it was 2-1 as Ryan White shot clinically home after Harvey D had held the ball up well.

Kevin Pike then sent Ryan through but even though his pass to Harvey was a good one the young striker could not finish this time.

Still you could not count Torrington out and largely due to the conditions they were still very much in this game and in the 55th minute an almighty scramble led to the ball deflecting over Ethan Chalke in the Creddy net. Oh dear, 2-2.

The remainder of the game was a real battle as Torrington surged forward looking for the winner, as did the home side.

Ryan White had a shot fumbled but the ball did not fall kindly and in the 75th minute, Ethan Chalke made a full length save from a goal bound shot to keep Crediton in the match.

This was to prove the moment of the afternoon as in the last minute Crediton yet again sent a ball flying into the area and the rest is now history.

This was very tough on the away side who had played their part.

The win however, keeps Crediton on top of the league which is a great place to be.

Okehampton are lurking just behind as, of course, are Brixham who feel like the main challengers with their seven games in-hand, two of which are against Crediton. Come on lads.

Crediton team: Chalke, Whitfield©, Knight, Bilcock, Johnson, Preece, White, Gillard, Pike, Dorothy and Stapleton.

Subs: Corrick, Woodward and Lee.

Man of the Match: Dan Preece.

Paul Whittall