Walter C Parsons Cup

Okehampton Argyle 4 - Crediton United 2

OH no not again was the cry from the away dressing room at the end of this colossus of a match as Okehampton, for the third game running against Crediton, scored in the dying minutes to snatch the result. 

In fact they added another before the close which made the score 4-2 and left Crediton wondering why. 

It is becoming a key fixture these days and although Crediton played their usual brand of passing football they could not cope with the occasional foray that Okehampton created on the counter. 

If fact such was Crediton’s commitment to playing an attacking formation which often left two at the back, Okehampton managed to score four times during the 90 minutes, albeit two of these goals coming in the last couple of minutes. 

The opening goal came on the half-hour as seasoned campaigner Luke Mortimer finished clinically to give Okey the lead at 1-0, but just a couple of minutes later a disputed free kick occurred just outside the area, Louis Morrison sent in a low drive, which the home keeper could not keep out, making it 1-1. 

However this was not the end of the scoring as a long ball found Dan Koita out on the left and he turned inside and sent in a shot that appeared to go straight through the Crediton goalkeeper, as he tried in vain to prevent the ball from going in, making it 2-1. 

The second half was much of the same and Crediton laid siege to the goal and mid-way through the half they were awarded a penalty which was clinically put away by Harvey Dorothy, levelling the score at 2-2. 

The game could now go either way. 

The Crediton defence were caught napping on quite a few occasions but Okehampton failed to find the goal they were looking for. 

Crediton also went close on a number of occasions but they could not find the winner that they craved either. 

Then in the last minute Josh Coles scored and put the home side in front and this meant Okey had done it again. 

From the third game running they had scored at the death to run out winners against the Kirton. 

The crowd were still celebrating when a superb lob from Dan Koita made the final score 4-2 and Okehampton were through to the next round. 

To say that Crediton have at last found a bogey team is such an understatement. 

Let’s hope for revenge when the teams next meet at Lords Meadow.

Crediton team: Chalk, Pike, Knight, Morrison, Johnson, Lee, White, Dorothy, Warren, Bilcock and Stapleton.

Man of the Match: Kevin Pike.

Bob Chamberlain RIP

I AM filled with sadness at the news that the Chairman of Crediton United, Bob Chamberlain has died after a short illness. 

I was fully expecting to see Bob soon at one our forthcoming games and it is difficult to put into words how much he will be missed at Lords Meadow as he will be missed throughout the Devon football world.

I firstly came across Bob at Clyst Rovers many moons ago and he was always so welcoming and kind. 

He loved his football and was at the helm at Crediton through a recent period of great success under management team Ben Watson and Jack Furzer. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Paul Whittle