South West Peninsula League East

AFC Torridgeside 2 -
Crediton United 3

IT was a successful afternoon for Crediton as they managed to come from behind to defeat a workmanlike Torridgeside who never gave up and in fact look the lead before Kirton got their game together and proved the better side.

Oakley Bennett was injured and captain Aidan Whitfield was absent and Alfie Down replaced Oakley, while the tireless Kevin Pike stood in at full back and was superb throughout.

Also there was young Henry Woodward who played wide and had a convincing run out and looked a good player.

The first action saw a needless foul on Crediton goalie Jack Arthur by veteran Marc Bettis and he was booked for it.

However after a Crediton move had broken down a long ball found the usually reliable Max Gillard wanting and Bettis nipped in to score the opening goal. 1-0.

This was a shame for Max who otherwise played an assured game throughout.

In fact both him and Steve Goss both had a fine game.

Then from a long ball forward from Kevin Pike, Ryan White controlled it beautifully and set up last weeks hat-trick hero Harvey Dorothy, but he shot narrowly wide.

In fact it was not Harvey’s day as time and time again he got in great positions but the ball simply would not pop in.

On another day he might have had another ball to take home.

Now it was all the away and a fine close range shot from Ryan White proved too hot for the home keeper and Crediton equalised. 1-1.

Just before half-time it was nearly two as Harvey jinked into the penalty area and shot a fraction wide with the keeper beaten.

A moment later it was the same player who blasted a shot in from the edge of the box and the goalie once more found it too hot to handle but succeeded in fumbling the ball onto the crossbar and out for a corner.

The second half was not long away when Crediton took the lead as a fierce shot from Harvey Dorothy was, yet again too fierce from the Goalie and Ryan White followed in for his second of the game.

It was now all Crediton and with Dan Preece and Kevin Pike storming up the flanks, and substitute Kieran Knight always on the overlap, all looked well for the away side, and 10 minutes from time a Torridgeside defender successfully converted at the wrong end and Crediton had their third. 1-3.

It was no more than they deserved, and you would have thought they had done enough for the win, but two minutes from time Torridgeside scored again from close range after Crediton failed to clear. 2-3.

Then followed a nervous three or four minutes as Crediton managed to keep the home side at bay.

There was a faint sigh of relief when the referee blew his whistle and gathered in the teams.

Another fine display but it was tough at times.

The only disappointment was to hear that Okehampton had scored in injury time AGAIN to overcome Bovey Tracey.

Crediton will play Ivybridge at Erme Playing Fields on Saturday, February 18 with a 3pm kick-off.

Crediton team: Arthur, Pike, Preece, Bilcock, Johnson, Gillard, Down, Dorothy, White, Stapleton and Woodward. Subs: Knight, Howe and Goss.

Man of the Match: Kevin Pike

Paul Whittall