Lucky escape from fire for occupant of house at Chawleigh

By Alan Quick   |   Editorial Manager/Photojournalist   |
Wednesday 30th October 2019 7:30 am
Share
()

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

A PROPERTY at Moortown, Chawleigh, sustained 100 per cent smoke damage and 40 per cent fire damage after a fire took hold during the early hours of Tuesday, October 29.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue control centre received a telephone call at 00.51am from the occupant of the property stating that the house was full of smoke.

The occupant was told to vacate the house immediately.

One fire engine from Chulmleigh, one from Witheridge and one from South Molton were sent to the address. 

On arrival, crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property and that all persons were out of the building.

Crews entered the house with two breathing apparatus wearers with one hose reel jet.

The fire was located in a ground floor bedroom which started from a dehumidifier which then spread to the rest of the room.

The fire was extinguished using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet, one covering jet and a short extension ladder and a thermal imaging camera was used to check the fire was out.

One elderly female had left the property prior to the arrival of the fire crews but suffered with slight smoke inhalation, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service confirmed.

The property measured approximately eight metres by four metres of two storeys used as a domestic dwelling.

The cause was accidental. 

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0