ONE of those who was first on the scene at a blaze affecting three properties in Broadclose, Thorverton, has spoken about how she helped at the scene and praised firefighters who brought it under control.
The fire occurred on Thursday, August 20 and crews from three fire engines, Danes Castle, Exeter and Crediton attended.
Natasha Farley explained: “I work for Tesco in Crediton and had just completed a delivery nearby when I noticed what looked like a bonfire in someones garden (which I hadn't noticed at 7.48pm when I arrived at my customers address).
“I drove towards the back of the bungalow and realised the side of someone’s shed was on fire so I called the fire brigade at exactly 8pm.
“Whilst on the phone to them, the neighbours started coming out and after me and a couple of other people who had stopped to help, told them what was going on they jumped into action and started knocking on doors and getting people out of their homes and away from the fire.

“Unfortunately the fire that started in the back garden by/in the shed, had then caught the fence on fire and also the trees and quickly spread to the back of the building and the roof, and then this had also spread to two more bungalows.
“The fire crews turned up and very quickly put out the big flames but there was a lot of smouldering and smoke and some flames still glowing in the garden.
“The fire brigade really are amazing and so brave facing something like that and they acted so quickly making sure everyone was safe.
“The community as well, they really just jumped in to help each other and do what they could in what was a very panicked and scary moment for them all.
“I was very impressed by the community spirit and thought for others.
“I feel very sad for the residents affected by the fire, it was such a shock to see what was a very small fire to begin with, turn into something so ferocious. I just hope they will be all be okay after such a shocking event.”
On social media, one person wrote: “Thank you so much to all you lovely locals who helped Mum and Dad during the fire.
“We’re so grateful for your kindness and support. Thank God no one was hurt.”
At 9.26pm Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews are currently still on scene making good progress fighting the fire.”
At 10.30pm, the update said that the fire had been put out and the incident had been closed.






Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.