Crediton defeat league leaders Teignmouth

By Crediton Courier Newspaper   |   Editorial   |
Tuesday 14th March 2017 5:06 pm
[email protected]

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.


TEIGNMOUTH arrived at Lords Meadow on Saturday, March 11 sitting pretty at the summit of the table, however Crediton were determined to make amends for last weekends disappointing display and avenge their defeat against the Teign’s from earlier in the season, in which they surrendered a two goal lead.

Gaffer Trenaman returned from his Madrid ventures after narrowly missing out in his bid to sign a couple of La Liga stars. The pack was shuffled as Crediton had one eye on Wednesday nights cup semi-final against Exeter University.

Tonkin returned in goal, there was a complete new look back four with Carpenter at right-back, Groom and Khoo at centre-half and Skinner at left-back. Bradford came in on the right and Ord partnered Blake up front.

Crediton flew out of the traps and had Teignmouth on the back foot immediately, Blake tested the Teign’s ‘keeper and then Morish and Ord combined well down the left but the chance came and went.

It was no surprise when the first goal arrived, and what a fine team goal it was. After some superb passing football the ball found Bradford on the right-hand side. He got to the by line and whipped a low cross to the near post, where Blake met it with a clever flick which flew into the far corner.

Teignmouth did grow into the game slowly but were resorting to very direct football, looking to catch Kirton out in behind. They drew level on 25 minutes as a long ball from Breslan was gathered excellently by James and he squared to Bush who made no mistake.

The game was nip and tuck for the remainder of the half and the sides went in level at the break.

The second 45 minutes began much the same as the first. Crediton started the half on the front foot and were soon ahead again.

This time it was Ord who was on-hand to tap home at the far post after Teignmouth failed to clear their lines.

Crediton extended their lead on the hour mark, Blake found himself in acres of space after some more sloppy play from the Teign’s defence. From 25 yards he had all the time in the world to lob the ball over the stranded ‘keeper to put some daylight between the two sides.

However, Teignmouth were not done there. In the 70th minute they pulled a goal back, this time it was Crediton’s turn to defend poorly. Skinner gave the ball away cheaply and it found its way to Thomas, whose weak shot squirmed under Tonkin and just crossed the line.

It was Crediton’s turn to score next as the entertainment continued, this time Blake could not connect with a near post flick, but Bilcock’s cross was finished off at the far post by centre-half Groom.

This restored Crediton’s two goal advantage and when James was dismissed for the Teign’s the game looked over.

However the scoring was not finished there. With 10 minutes to go Teignmouth gave themselves hope, the Crediton back four was disjointed and Thomas again found himself in behind, his pace took him clear and he made no mistake slotting under the onrushing Tonkin.

After a nervy few minutes Crediton held on for a much-deserved victory on the balance of play and chances.

Another great game for the neutrals!

Now Crediton turn their attention to tomorrow evening (Wednesday, March 15), where they face Exeter University in a huge clash which could see Crediton reach their first cup final since the 1960s!

The match will take place at Cullompton Rangers, kick off 7.30pm.

Dave Lee


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0