SATURDAY, November 25 saw Sandford FC First team make its second longest journey of the present campaign when it travelled to Colyton in East Devon.

The home side lie fourth in the league, while the "ford" have slipped to 10th having dropped points through defensive errors late in games.

The Colyton v Sandford game was moved to a second pitch as their main pitch was waterlogged.

From the kick-off Colyton went on the attack but the first chance fell to Sandford’s midfielder Sam Reeves but he shot wide.

In the first 10 minutes both sides had equal chances with "ford" keeper Jed Mussel saving well.

On 20 minutes, a foul outside the Sandford penalty box by a Colyton player resulted in the referee giving the free kick to them which annoyed both away players and supporters.

On 29 minutes, Tudor Morgan-Hugget, playing on the left wing, got the ball and cut inside the full back, only to be brought down, which resulted in a booking for the Colyton player.

Sandford were under a lot of pressure now and another fine fingertip by Jed Mussel kept the score at 0-0.

Every decision the referee made now seemed to be going against "ford”, but the team held on and at the half-time whistle the score was still 0-0.

The second half started with Sandford on the attack and on 47 minutes, Tudor shot over.

A minute later another chance for "ford" saw Greg Mildon through one-on-one, but the keeper saved.

On 52 minutes, Jed again saved, producing a corner to Colyton, from which a defensive mistake led to the home side taking the lead, 1-0.

On 56 minutes, Ben Waller, who had been drafted into the side because of a lack of players (six missing from the last game against Winkleigh) was substituted after a gallant effort.

Also subbed was 16 year-old Bodie Blake, who was playing his first game for the club, a credible effort.

On came Ryan Trump and Tyler Morgan-Hugget.

Sandford were coming more into the game but were not converting their chances, then, on 85 minutes, they paid the price when Colyton were awarded a corner from which they had a free header to make it 2-0.

Just after that Colyton received their second booking of the game.

Then, just before the end, a break down the right wing by Steven Dymond produced a lovely low cross which Tudor gratefully converted, 2-1.

Sandford rallied and fought hard for the equaliser, but to no avail.

The missed chances and defensive mistakes are costing the team heavily.  Instead of 10th they should be in the top six.

The score 2-1 to Colyton in the end was a rather flattering scoreline. 

This coming Saturday Sandford have the return fixture with Crediton Seconds, hopefully a change of fortune for the "ford".

Kick off is at 2.15pm.

Please come and give your support to your local side. 

The second team match with Beacon Knights was postponed to this coming Saturday because of the Knights Cup match. The game is at King George Fields in Exeter. 

Good luck to both teams.