Convincing win means safe passage to third round

Friday 7th November 2014 12:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Devon Premier Cup Second Round



CREDITON had a safe passage through to the third round of the Premier Cup where they will play at home to Marjons on December 6.

However they had to survive an early scare as the visitors from the Plymouth and District League scored an early opener, albeit well against the run of play.

Ben Pike had already missed a golden opportunity to open the scoring on 15 minutes but a quality strike from Jamie Thomas gave Chaddlewood the lead just three minutes later, the scorer cutting in from the left before unleashing a powerful drive that gave Keast no chance.

Crediton were soon back in the game and on 28 minutes a pin-point cross from Perry Carpenter was headed in by top scorer Kenny Ord for 1-1.

The favour was nearly returned by Kenny as Perry Carpenter went close on 32 minutes but just before half-time "man of the match" Richard Blake's header from a wonderful cross from Josh Kite gave Kirton the lead.

It was no more than they deserved and from then on they didn't look back.

Driven on by the excellent Dave Lee in midfield who I have never seen play better wave upon wave of Crediton attacks were born.

Firstly the 'keeper saved bravely from Kenny Ord and then he hit the post with a fierce drive.

Then, after 55 minutes, Kenny set up Richard Blake who scored with a low drive to make it 3-1.

Surely that would be enough for the home side as the Chaddlewood lads were finding the pace a bit much and started to huff and puff. Lloyd Copp surged in from the left and was brought down for an obvious spot kick that was duly converted by Perry Carpenter on 61 minutes for 4-1.

After 69 minutes it was 5-1 as Lloyd cut in once more from the left and hit a shot of great force and skill which flew past the visiting goalie - the best individual strike of the game.

Still, Crediton were not finished, as Ben Pike missed an open goal and Kenny Ord shot just wide.

It really could have been double figures with the chances created by the home side.

As often happens in these games though, the away side scored again with 10 minutes to go through Adam Lee, making it 5-2.

However that was as good as it got for the Plymouth lads and there was still time for both Kenny and Lloyd to go close before the end.

On the whole, a good performance from the lads against a side that were not a great challenge in all honesty, but you can only win against the side you have to play and win they did, very convincingly.


More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0