Third break-in in three weeks for Crediton church
The Manse, left, at Crediton Congregational Church, which has been broken-into three times in the last three weeks. AQ 9098
A CREDITON Church is reeling after it this morning (Wednesday, August 5), sustained its third break-in at its offices in three weeks.
This morning, the back door at The Manse, which adjoins Crediton Congregational Church, was opened after a pane of glass was broken.
At this stage it is unknown if anything was taken but damage was caused to the door and some internal damage.
Also last night, a rear door at Crediton Tandoori was broken-into.
It is unknown if anything was taken but damage was caused.
Just over a week ago, during the early hours of Monday, July 27, the front door of The Manse was forced as well as many internal doors.
During that break-in an untidy search was made in all the offices and at Crediton Foodbank, which operates from the same premises.
Locked drawers were forced open and cash was taken from the church office, from the Foodbank office and from another drawer in another office, money in a tin which belonged to the Church Youth Club.
No food items were believed to have been taken from the Foodbank.
Previously, on July 7, the front door was forced and entry gained to The Manse and damage caused.
An untidy search was made but it is not believed anything was taken.
A church spokesperson said that a decision had been made that no cash would now be kept on the premises in the future.
Just a few weeks ago a nearby resident disturbed an individual trying to force the front door at The Manse.
The person fled the scene.
Security is now being increased at The Manse.
Crediton Police would welcome any information about the break-ins or if anyone was seen in the area acting suspiciously, using the 101 number. Crime references are CR 62821/20 for the incident on July 27 and CR 054320 for the incident on July 7.
In an emergency, use the 999 number.
MP LOBBIES POLICE COMMISSIONER OVER CCTV IN CREDITON
This week Central Devon MP Mel Stride has written to Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez after Devon and Cornwall Police received more than £540,000 of additional funding to crack down on burglary and theft in local crime hotspots.
The extra funding is part of the Government’s £25 million Safer Streets Fund and can be used for a variety of measures including to increase street-lighting, install CCTV, train community wardens or establish Neighbourhood Watch schemes.
Mr Stride asked Commissioner Hernandez to ensure that smaller towns are not forgotten and specifically whether Crediton or Okehampton might be able to benefit.
He said: “Crime is not only a problem in our larger cities and towns. Our market towns and smaller communities are also affected by burglaries, anti-social behaviour and vandalism, and it is important they are not forgotten.
“Often local CCTV is inadequate and improving coverage, particularly in the high streets of our market towns, could make a big difference.
“It would help deter break-ins and anti-social behaviour in the first place, and if a crime did happen it would be easier to identify the perpetrator and secure a prosecution.”
Earlier this year Mel visited the Central Convenience Store and Post Office in Copplestone which was recently victim to an appalling robbery, with a masked intruder taking around £4,500. It is the second time in two-and-a-half years that the store has been targeted.
CommentsTo leave a comment you need to create an account. |