Okehampton Argyle 2 -
Crediton United 1

Southwest Peninsula League Division East

CREDITON failed to overcome Okehampton Argyle, yet again, as a last minute strike against the run of play was enough to keep Okey perched on the top of the table.

Like the game at Crediton a few weeks ago Okehampton managed to snatch a winner with only a minute left and they are still the only side to beat Crediton in the league this season.

The Crediton side were without almost all of last week’s midfield as Oakley Bennett, Shay Corrick and Sam Stapleton were absent.

Dan Preece also could not play after suffering from concussion a couple of weeks ago.

This meant a new back four with Steve Goss and Jack Fanning playing together and a trip into midfield, for Dre Johnson who had a fine game in an unfamiliar position.

This game was the only match which had not been defeated by the weather and would decide who would be top of the table by teatime.

After only two minutes Okehampton took the lead.

A long ball out of left back from former Creddy man Ollie Snow found Luke Alden, who cut inside and unleashed a terrific shot, which looped over Jack Arthur and into the goal for 1-0.

The pitch was playable, but slippery underfoot and both sides struggled to play a fluent passing game and the play swung this way and that.

Leon Tottell upfront found himself on the floor, as much as skating over it, but the referee was not impressed and persistently waved play on. Okehampton could have added to their lead and Luke Alden chipped Jack Arthur once more, but the ball narrowly missed the outside of the right-hand post.

Ryan White was excellent as a target man up front and Kevin Pike belied his years and played brilliantly despite the difficult conditions, continually running and causing problems for the home defence.

At the half time intermission, it was agreed that the contest was very even and with Crediton having the wind and the slight slope we felt that the lads could stage a comeback.

As early as the 48th minute this happened as Ryan White once more found himself on the ground and from the resultant free kick Adam Bilcock sent an absolute screamer into the bottom corner of the Okehampton net, leaving the keeper grasping at thin air.

From then on it was all Crediton and they threatened time and time again. Harvey Dorothy playing wide on the left with the absence of Sam looked particularly dangerous and Ryan White also was a constant irritant for the Okey defenders.

At one point Harvey appeared to be hauled down inside the area but nothing was given.

Crediton had four corners in a row but were constantly out of luck as the home keeper denied them several times.

He had a fine match, and time and time again made last ditch saves.

Then the moment that decided the match as on 90 minutes, Okehampton were allowed to stroll through a hesitant defence and the ball was passed through to Brad Ausden and he slotted home the winner. 2-1.

There was only just time to kick-off and then the referee blew for full time. Okehampton had stolen the game late on, again and the relief on the faces of the home players of supporters was palpable.

This leaves Okehampton top of the table, four points clear of Crediton who have a game in hand so all is not lost.

The lads did their very best in difficult conditions and although top, Okehampton will know they were second best on the day.

Next up is the visit of lowly Bridport at Lords Meadow on Saturday, December 3, with kick-off at 2.15pm.

Crediton team: Arthur, Whitfield(c), Knight, Johnson, Goss, Fanning, Dorothy, Bilcock, White, Pike and Tottell subs: Stephens Radford.

Man of the match: Adam Bilcock.

Paul Whittall