Superb performance from Crediton from start to finish

By Crediton Courier Newspaper   |   Editorial   |
Thursday 14th March 2019 12:22 pm
[email protected]

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.


IN the South West Peninsula League East Division game on Saturday, March 9, Liverton showed why they are bottom of the league while Crediton sparkled with a superb attacking display which despite scoring only once in the first half led to a second half where they dominated completely.

Liverton bristled with belligerence throughout, especially when a goal was ruled out just before half-time. The language which issued was appalling and having spoken to the referee at half-time I was staggered to discover that he felt that it was all part of the modern game. Hmm!

Crediton had won 5-1 against Teignmouth on Monday night (March 4) and were obviously intent on continuing their run of unbeaten games.

The front duo of Kenny Ord and Simon Durrant were teaming up beautifully and it was from a Mike White corner that Kenny Ord’s left foot volley put Kirton one up.

Already Liverton’s defending looked a trifle dreamy and this was to prove the case throughout. They nearly equalised straightaway as an unstoppable volley from their no 10 smashed against the post with goalie Slade motionless.

Kenny Ord’s knockdown set up Durrant but his effort was blocked by the ‘keeper, who it has to be said had a great game in the Liverton goal and the final score did not reflect his personal performance.

Mike White then hit the left-hand post and soon after James Close sent a shot in that was clawed to safety by the aforementioned Liverton goalie.

Ollie Snow should have scored but again the ‘keeper was vigilant and it looked as though Crediton were not going to score many today.

Durrant hit a glorious volley just over and at the other end, new recruit Slade saved point blank to keep Crediton in front.

Then the moment of contention arrived when Liverton appeared to have scored but Steve Goss pulled off a fantastic goal-line clearance.

Was it over the line?, very hard to see from where the Crediton faithful were standing but the linesman said “no” and that was that.

Despite prolonged and vaguely humorous protests from almost the entire home side, the referee didn’t change his mind. Hands up all those who think they do change their mind from time-to-time?

The language and display of petulance was tedious and the referee might have been wise to blow for half-time but the wisdom of referees is seldom seen on these occasions. The disappointed Liverton players trooped off with faces as flaming as brightly as their shirts.

The second half was a mighty affair resulting in Crediton adding a further seven goals without reply. In the second minute of the half Kenny Ord rolled the ball exquisitely under the goalie for number two and almost immediately it was 3-0 as he completed his hat-trick with a low shot into the corner.

Crediton now had the bit between their teeth and after Kenny Ord hit the post with a clean shot Durrant followed in with a determined shot for number four. James Close, who was superb throughout, had a splendid shot palmed over by the goalie.

Mike White fired just wide and at the other end Liverton nearly scored as their No 10 shot just wide.

On 71 minutes the fifth goal arrived although it was a Liverton player who scored it. The home side had now visibly thrown the towel in and Kirton scored three goals in four minutes.

Ollie Snow’s deft free kick has headed home brilliantly by Close on 74 minutes for number five and then almost immediately Kenny Ord found himself unmarked and shot home easily.

This was one of his better games and he showed what a complete performer he can be, Although he can also be frustrating at times, he showed today, and on the previous Monday, what a danger he is to opposing defenders.

Substitute Evra Yau added an eighth with a jinking run beating three defenders before shooting into the far left-hand corner.

Crediton’s domination was complete but even with 12 minutes still to play, incredibly, no more goals were forthcoming.

Kenny had a shot brilliantly saved after another fine run and the referee put Liverton out of their misery by adding no injury time at all.

Crediton are flying at the moment and this was a superb performance from start to finish and they well-deserved this fine victory.

However Liverton’s insistence of playing two defenders for long periods was comical in the extreme as Ord and Durrant ran them ragged.

Next up for Crediton is a home game against Axminster on Friday, March 15.

Paul Whittall

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0