GWR has made a disappointing announcement regarding the North Devon line between Crediton and Barnstaple.

A statement issued today, Wednesday, February 18, states: “We promised to keep you updated on our work to reopen the Barnstaple line.

“Services between Barnstaple and Crediton remain suspended.

“To reopen the remainder of the line to Barnstaple, specialist divers need to inspect submerged structures to ensure the safety of the route.

“The high-water level and currents have so far prevented divers from being able to access one of the structures on the route.

“When possible, we do plan to start operating a limited train service between Exeter Central and Copplestone, calling at all stations between these two locations.

“These additional services will be subject to ongoing weather conditions.

Repairing the line between Crediton and Cowley
Repairing the line between Crediton and Cowley (Network Rail)

“Yellow weather warning for heavy rain are in place through this evening.

“We anticipate that the entirety of the line to Barnstaple will not reopen until at least Tuesday, February 24 for the reasons set out above.

“Limited rail replacement transport remains in place for stations on the line and customers should check before they travel at www.gwr.com/check

“We’re very sorry for the continued disruption. Please do let us know if you have any questions.”

Tim Steer, Devon and Cornwall regional branch chair of Railfuture, said to Tarka Line friends and groups on social media: “I personally can only imagine how disappointed you all are.

Working to fix washouts between Crediton and Cowley
Working to fix washouts between Crediton and Cowley (Network Rail)

“Fingers crossed we get that limited stop at Copplestone. Please read the information on the bus replacement timetables.”

Dan Parkes from Network Rail told the BBC earlier today that a section of track washed out in 25 different places along the Crediton to Barnstaple line.

He said 300 tonnes (47,242st) of new material was brought in to fix the track and "that work had been achieved".

However, he said for the line to reopen, seven bridges needed to be inspected and engineers had been unable to do this "due to the conditions".

GWR said services are still able to run between Exeter and Okehampton and Exeter and Crediton.

Back-to-back storms of Goretti, Ingrid and Chandra have caused issues for the rail network across the local and national network.